Because of the July 4th weekend, I had to wait until Tuesday to call my doctors office (not surprisingly, they failed to call me the week before as promised). I called Dr. Holt's office that morning asking to speak with his nurse. I explained the situation up to date and the lady I talked with told me that she hoped to have the situation solved by noon. I finally heard from Dr. Holt's nurse, Cathy, at 6:00pm that evening. She informed me that I indeed would be receiving the Lupron Therapy and Dr. Mathias would be doing it. Finally, a plan!
So, I woke up early and called Dr. Mathias' office Wednesday morning. After speaking with a rude receptionist who refused to answer my questions, she promised a nurse would call me back....otherwise, I was looking at 2 more weeks before starting the therapy. To avoid the tears, I left the house and ran a few errands. Nelda, Dr. Mathias' nurse called me around noon and became my new best friend! After pouring out my heart and soul to her (more than I'm sure she wanted to here), she explained to me that it was really no problem! She is the one who would show me how to do the Lupron Therapy and that I could come in at ANY time. What? Any time? I couldn't believe it!! The one slight problem is that I needed my medicine in order for her to show me how to take the injections. As soon as I gave her the number to my pharmacy, she called in my prescription. I called CVS and asked them if they had my medicine in stock or if it would have to be ordered? As my luck has it, they had to order the medicine. But, it would be in the next day by 3:00pm. I called Nelda back and filled her in with what I had learned and asked her if I could come in on Thursday as soon as I picked up the medicine. She reminded me that there was a possibility of flooding in Houston and that it probably wouldn't be in my best interest. She could tell I was getting frustrated...they are closed on Friday and I really did not want to push this to Monday. She said come on in this afternoon and I'll show you how to do the injections with the equipment we have here-we just won't actually stick you. I told her I'd be right there!
I'm sure many of you do not understand why I wanted to begin this therapy so quickly. It was/is important to me for many reasons:
1) I feel as though everything we have done so far has been pushed to the back burner-I am tired of waiting!
2) There are many side effects to this therapy. I wanted to start it during the summer while I have time to get control of the situation and how it will affect my body.
3) I want to feel good-I have been in pain for so long and just want to know what it's like to feel normal.
4) I am more than ready to be a MOM! We cannot even start trying until I am done with the therapy. Whichever route we have to go, it's going to take time. I don't want to waste anymore of it!
James wasn't able to go with me so Heather met me there in 30 minutes (I can't thank her enough for being by my side through all of this-I couldn't do it without her)! I felt it was important to have someone with me-they always provide me with so much information and learning how to give myself a shot is a bit more extensive that I'm used to. Nelda was WONDERFUL; she went through the entire process with us until I had "it" and managed to answer our questions till our hearts were content.
So, as leery as I was to start this process of poking myself with a needle (little yes, but a needle nonetheless), I was anxious to get this process started. I not so patiently awaited 3:00pm (when my medicine should have arrived). I gave CVS until 3:30pm and then called them. And what did I find out...there was an INSURANCE problem. Really...can I not catch a break? Through my tears (yes, I cry a lot) I remained strong and was determined to get and start my medicine that day. It was either pay $600 plus out of pocket (without insurance) or call them and try to work out the problem. We simply thought we needed my doctors to sign something saying they approve the medicine...ummmm hello, didn't they prescribe it? I think Dr. Mathias' office was closed before they ever got the fax since I was never able to reach them. Come to find out, after talking to the insurance lady, there was more to it than that anyway. I also have to receive this special medicine through mail order. What? You're telling me that CVS is holding my medicine for me and I cannot pick it up because I have to get it through mail order instead? The insurance lady promptly transferred me to another lady at Caremark who I LOVED! She ended up overriding the problem so that I could pick up my first order at CVS. Ahhhhh.....finally! As soon as James got home, we went and picked up the meds (a months worth)-I didn't want anything else to happen before we could get them!
I stopped my birth control Wednesday and started the shots Thursday evening and think that it went pretty well. I was nervous when I first stuck the needle in but it really doesn't hurt-I don't even numb it with the ice anymore like originally suggested. I think it's the anticipation of poking myself that makes the situation worse-not actually poking myself. I can feel the medicine going in and I have had some bruising and a tiny bit of bleeding. I think this is a common occurrence as my brother with diabetes seems to have the same issues. I also have to spray this mist on my forearm 2-3 times per day-it is a estrogen add back to help with what the Lupron is taking from me. It is also supposed to help keep my bones healthy since the Lupron takes from them as well. I was taking 17 meds per day-if you take away the birth control, add 3 mists and 1 shot that brings me up to 20. WOW! So, yes, menopause here I come! This therapy is basically going to shut down my system so that I am not having a period and not ovulating. This in turn will keep me from producing more Endometriosis and hopefully kill what's remaining. I am still unsure for how long I will have to do this....I've heard anywhere from 2 months to 1 year. As soon as we get my system under control and ween myself off the Lupron, we should be able to begin our journey of trying to have children. Until then, it's like a friend of mine says, "I'll hurry up and wait!"



5 comments:
I'm so glad you finally were able to start Lupron - what a mixed blessing! I also understand all the fun of having meds shipped to the house, but CVS was amazing when I spoke with them too & got them there next day (my RE also let us use someone else's at the office for training - I brought my camera to take pictures since I was positive I'd forget how to mix everything, etc). You'll eventually get used to the shots but you'll never get used to the stinging of the meds going in. :( BUT you do look super cool with the sharps container & syringes lying around the house! I pray that you won't have to deal with all this crap for a whole year & that it works ASAP so you can find out what your next course of action is. Enjoy the "hurry up & wait" - it's now part of your daily vocab .. take it from me! :)
I am happy to hear that the next phase has begun! I know you are happy to start it. I will pray that your body adjust well to it, and that the process helps and works quickly. I love you girl! Don't you ever forget that!
I know I tell you this all the time, but here it is in writing ~ you are amazing and I am so proud of you for fighting for your dreams!!! I love you!
I'm so glad you were able to start the Lupron therapy and not wait!!! And, I am so proud of you for staying the course and demanding good care/good insurance!!! Sometimes, that is the hardest part and you are your best advocate!! I want you to know that you are in my prayers and I am going to pray specifically for a speedy lupron therapy time and of course for you guys to be parents!!
Thanks guys for the continued support-I truly do have the best friends!!! I could not do this without y'all. Love you guys! :-)
Post a Comment