Ingredients:
3/8 tbsp ground paprika
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp oregano leaves
3/8 tsp garlic powder
3/8 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
2/5 tsp salt, to taste (optional)
1/16 tsp ground cayenne (red pepper)
1/4 lb large raw shrimp, cleaned
1/4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1) Soak sixteen wooden skewers in water for 20 minutes before grilling or broiling to prevent burning.
2) Prepare the Cajun Rub by mixing all the ingredients except shrimp and olive oil in a small bowl, stirring well.
3) Place the shrimp in a large bowl and sprinkle with the rub. Drizzle with the olive oil. Toss to mix and set aside for 15-30 minutes.
4) Thread 4 shrimp onto each skewer by bending each shrimp so that the ends of the shrimp are nearly touching.
5) Insert the skewer right above the tail so that it skewers the shrimp twice.
6) Grill the kabobs, turning occasionally, over medium heat for about 6 minutes until the shrimp turn pink and are cooked through.
7) If broiling, broil the skewers, turning occasionally, under a preheated brewer for 6 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
Results:
My Thoughts: I thought this was pretty good considering it is one of the first of MANY recipes we will be cooking to fit my diet (we are a little unsure if brown sugar is on the diet but it did say "natural sugar")! We did not follow the recipe exactly as we were missing the ingredient onion powder and our shrimp were too small for the skewers. So, we broiled the shrimp (minus the skewers) by placing it on a broiling pan covered with foil. My one recommendation would be to use a tad less thyme if you are not a big fan like us-it over powered the flavor of the shrimp. We mixed it with brown rice and paired it with salad. It was easy, quick, pretty tasty, AND approved by my doctors! :-)




3 comments:
This is one I will have to pass on...
Haha! I bet a lot of the new ones I post people won't like. Healthy, healthy ;-P
No, healthy I am ok with, shrimp I am not
Post a Comment