Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Monday, June 27, 2011

4th Annual Caring for Katy!

Back at the beginning of March (the 6th to be exact), James and I were able to experience our very first Caring for Katy!  What is this you ask?  Well, I wondered the same thing until Pastor Alex spoke about it during one of his sermons at church and I learned the "real" reason behind this incredible annual event.  Four years ago, Kingsland Baptist Church was undergoing remodeling of some kind.  They were removing the pews in the sanctuary and putting in chairs.  Because of this transition, having a typical Sunday church service would have been next to impossible.  Not wanting to cancel church for the day, the pastors wanted to come up with something the church could do that day to glorify the Lord.  This is when Caring for Katy was born-a day when the entire church goes out into Katy (and surrounding areas) to show the Lord's love by providing a helping hand where needed!

After discussing a number of options, our ABF class voted on working at "The Soaring Eagle Ranch" in Simonton, Texas!  Their mission is to offer faith-based programs and curriculum vital to the restoration and healing process of children affected by domestic violence, neglect, abuse, abandonment, and poverty as well as to orphans.  They feel that every child has a God-given destiny, a purpose in life, and needs a hope for a brighter future.

I can't think of a better organization to spend our day helping and I am so honored to have been a part of this event!  It happened during a time when "perspective" is definitely what I needed.  Plus, spending time in the country was literally a breath of fresh air (no pun intended).  We headed out pretty early in the morning and stayed until after lunch making repairs and cleaning around the ranch.  Because they operate strictly from donations, some of the maintenance of the land had started to go down hill.  It felt so good to to spend a small portion of our day helping  out so that they could use their financial resources elsewhere.

Before I found out I was pregnant, I had actually made plans to continue working at the ranch.  Already knowing I wasn't going back to teaching, I felt that this would be a great way to continue sharing my passion for kids who face challenges in their lives.  Now that I am pregnant, I think it might be safer to postpone this particular opportunity until after the twins get here.  I sill definitely want to be involved in this effort!  They are always in need of volunteers so if you are interested in spending some time on this beautiful land helping some precious kids in great need, check out the following website: http://thesoaringeagleranch.net/.



"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  




They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow
 weary, they will walk and not be faint." -- Isaiah 40:31 

No comments: